Sunday, 9 February 2014

Produsage- have you heard of it??

Product usage (produsage) is a term used to describe emerging technologies that are distinguished by their user led frameworks (Stewart 2005). 
In these products both producers and consumers are active participants – the producers as the creators of the framework, and the consumers who create, use and shape the content.  Good examples of produsage are products such as Instagram, flickr or Wikipedia, products that in order to function need consumers and their creativity.  Users make an an active contribution; it is not passive one-way communication that have characterised many media platforms over the past 50 years (think radio, TV, newspapers).
I am a large user of Instagram, but before I came across it, I never even used to take photos! But after spending hours on Instagram, being swept away by the creativity of so many talented users, and by seeing what the possibilities were, I was I was inspired to get involved.  It was as if I had a part of my brain opened that I didn’t even know existed.  Being able to share great ideas, and build on others ideas’ to create your own, is something that could not have occurred (very easily anyway) 10 years ago.  


Axel Bruns (2007) describes the “produsage economy” where both creation and consumption are combined together, where the user leads the creation environment.   This new way of participating in society and contributing to an emerging culture is unique and exciting, and has been described as a “participatory culture” (Jenkins 2009).  This term describes the way in which users, because of low barriers to engagement with the product and strong creative support amongst the community, are able to pass along knowledge to one another and share ideas to collaborate and create at rapid speeds and with high creativity. 
Produsage in the future will continue to grow.  This next generation will expect nothing less and in fact one of the top trends for 2014 as listed by Inside Retail is Product Individualisation.  Shoppers want to feel special and in this price competitive environment they ail play a premium for the ability to customise or buy something slightly more unique. (Firth, 2014)  


  





Bruns, A. 2007. Produsage. Proceedings of the 6th ACM SIGCHI conference on Creativity \& cognition. Washington, DC, USA: ACM.

Firth, P, 2014 Top five trends for 2014, Inside Retail, (Viewed online February 7th 2014.)

Jenkins, H 2009, ‘Confronting the challenges of participatory culture’, MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, viewed 19 January 2014 http://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/titles/free_download/9780262513623_Confronting_the_Challenges.pdf

Stewart, B. 2005. Snurblog.  http://theory.cribchronicles.com/2012/07/03/what-produsage-is-and-why-it-matters/

No comments:

Post a Comment